Brochure Type: Hidden Journey Central America 2017
It may feature the famous and dynamic capital, an unforgettable canal cruise and the sands of Playa Blanca but this trip also takes you beyond all that to meet locals in villages and the rainforest.You'll enjoy Insider moments like... learning about the biodiversity of the Panama Canal with a Smithsonian researcher who explains of the environmental impact of the canal across its 90 years of history.
- City tour of Panama City
- Cruise a portion of the Panama Canal
- View the Volcan Baru volcano, the Nata basilica and the Pacific Coast
- Visit the historic district of Casco Antiguo in Panama City, Panama Viejo, Gamboa Rainforest, Chagres National Park, and a coffee plantation in the Chiriqui Highlands
- 7 full breakfasts.
- 3 dinners.
- 2 lunches (including Be My Guest).
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- A Trafalgar bonus - Intra-Air Flights: Panama City to David including porter service at airport
- Cherry-picked hotels all tried and trusted
- Hand-picked Insider Experiences
- Optional Experiences and free time
- Porterage and local charges included
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- VIP entry to many sights
Call (317) 736-0528 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13153032
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 3/31/2017
- 8 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Panama City||Arrive Panama City (2 Nights): Bienvenidos a Panama, Central America's most beautiful gem and home to the eponymous Canal. You are greeted at the airport by a local host and transferred to your hotel overlooking the Bay of Panama, just steps away from Calle Uruguay with its many popular restaurants and shops. This evening, join your fellow travel companions and your Travel Director at the hotel for a Welcome Reception.Welcome Reception|
Le Meridien Panama
|Day 2||Panama Canal Cruise||Panama Canal Cruise and Free Time: Board your vessel and cruise the Canal, Panama's premier attraction. As you enter the most important waterway in the world, cruise down from the north end of the Galliard Cut, where the Chagres River flows into the Canal, and witness firsthand the engineering wonder of the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores Locks, the final set before reaching the Pacific Ocean. Cruise over the Continental Divide and under the Centennial Bridge and Bridge of the Americas. Snacks and lunch are included onboard. Once in the beautiful Bay of Panama, prepare for the best views of Panama City's modern, fast-changing skyline. Afterward, your time is free for independent activities. Enjoy the evening in Panama City to sample local cuisine. Note: The start time of the canal cruise is dependent on ship traffic and in some instances the trip may operate in the afternoon.Full Breakfast, Lunch|
|Day 3||GAMBOA RAINFOREST||Panama City Sightseeing - Gamboa Rainforest (2 Nights): Discover Panama City's role long before the Canal put it on the map. Visit Panama Viejo, site of the ruins of the original Panama City before it was sacked by pirate Henry Morgan. Next, wander the quaint streets of Casco Antiguo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, in Panama's Historic District. Afterward, make a stop at the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center and Canal Museum. Then head for the lush vegetation and tropical climate of the rainforest. Once at your resort, join a guide on an exciting nature walk and aerial tram ride. Glide smoothly through the treetops and possibly spot birds and animals that inhabit the rainforest canopy. Visit the Observation Tower and admire the panoramic views of the Chagres River and Panama Canal. After dinner, join a discussion with a Smithsonian researcher, a Local Specialist, and learn more about the diversity of Panama.Full Breakfast, Dinner|
Gamboa Rainforest Resort
|Day 4||GAMBOA RAINFOREST||Gamboa Rainforest Sightseeing and Free Time: Embark on a different kind of water adventure and meet your boteros (boatmen) at the edge of the Chagres National Park. Enjoy a ride up river through the jungle, possibly sighting toucans, sloths and monkeys. Arriving at the village of Emberá Drua, you are met with a traditional greeting and will learn about the Emberá Indians' fascinating culture, lifestyle and crafts. Enjoy a Cultural Insight as you taste delicious and traditional patacones (fried plantains) with small samples of fried fish or chicken. Then, listen to local music and watch traditional shamanic dances. Back at the resort, the afternoon is free.Full Breakfast|
|Day 5||Boquete||Gamboa Rainforest - David - Cerro Punta - Boquete (2 Nights): Fly to David and travel up the mountain slopes of the Chiriquí Province. At Cerro Punta, take in the superb views of Volcán Barú, a dormant but prominent volcano and the tallest mountain in Panama. An exclusive Be My Guest lunch awaits at a thoroughbred breeding farm situated in Cerro Punta Valley, one of the most beautiful scenic jewels in the country. As guests of the owners-one of Panama's most prominent families-explore the farm and learn how they breed these magnificent horses in a chemical-free environment. Later, arrive at the mountain resort of Boquete in beautiful Valle Escondido.Full Breakfast, Be My Guest Dining|
Valle Escondido Resort, Golf and Spa
|Day 6||Boquete||Boquete Sightseeing and Free Time: Visit a coffee plantation and learn how coffee in Panama is making a grand entrance on to the world stage of gourmet grounds with several award-winning, estate-grown varietals. Learn about the coffee-making process with a Local Specialist and see the Ngobe-Bugle, an indigenous group who hand-pick the red coffee berries when they are perfectly ripe. The rest of the day is free in the Valley of Flowers to do some exploring before dinner. Full Breakfast, Dinner|
|Day 7||Playa Blanca||Boquete - Santiago - Nata - Playa Blanca: Descend from the Chiriquí Highlands to the Inter-American Highway, the Central American section of the Pan-American Highway. Stop in Santiago for lunch on your own. Then it's on to Aguadulce and Natá in Coclé Province, the heart of Panama's sugar cane industry. In Natá, view the beautiful basilica, said to be the oldest church in Central America. Arrive at your resort, nestled alongside the Pacific Ocean. This evening, recount cherished memories of your Panama holiday with newfound friends at a festive Farewell Dinner.Full Breakfast, Farewell Dinner|
JW Marriott Playa Blanca
|Day 8||DEPART PANAMA CITY||Playa Blanca - Depart Panama City: In the morning, depart Playa Blanca for your transfer to Panama City International Airport or choose to extend your stay in Playa Bonita. Full Breakfast|
- Crossovers: All the 2016 departures will operate per the 2016 brochure. Hotels and inclusions may vary. Please inquire at the time of booking.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class